Traveling by stagecoach and horseback, the Rt. Rev. Jackson Kemper, Missionary Bishop of Indiana, celebrated the first Episcopal service in Richmond in February of 1837, in the upper floor of what was the Warner Building (site of Richmond's current city building). Bishop Kemper returned in July of that year with the Reverend George Fisk who he appointed as Rector. Within a year of Bishop Kemper’s first visit, “St. Paul’s Episcopal Church” was officially organized in 1838 with a vestry, clerk and treasurer.
We were established in the same year as the Diocese of Indianapolis and became its seventh parish (the tenth in the State of Indiana).
Today, St. Paul's is an active community of caring Christians drawing closer to God and each other. We are a vital part of the Episcopal Diocese of Indiana, The Episcopal Church in the USA, and the world-wide Anglican Communion.
More information on our church's history can be found here.